Monday, April 7, 2014

Moments that Matter Most

Family!  How is everyone today?  I hope it's all going good!  Especially with the big news this week!  And a big CONGRATULATIONS to my little sis who is the newest CHEVALIER!  So excited and so proud.  #cryingmanlytearsatthemoment

The divisions were great!  We had lots of success, taught well and a lot of people.  We had the blessing of talking to about 25 people combined on both of the exchanges.  The Lord is just throwing people in our way to teach!  And yeah, it's always good to go on exchanges and have a change of pace.  Plus, I love not knowing how the other companion teaches and learning new things from them because after awhile you just get used to teaching with the same person.  :)

I feel like my time here in Argentina has gone faster than my time in Oklahoma too!  I'm loving every minute of it and I'm sorry that I didn't bring my camera today.

To be honest it sounds like your lives are great, relaxed and blessed.  What else do you need???  I do have a challenge for each one of you!  While you are on your trip this week you should try to share the gospel with people!  I promise that your testimonies will be strengthened and you will be shown the love the Lord has for them.

As for this week, I have a few special moments that I'd like to share.

So this past Monday I was preparing for district meeting - and last week  I shared my thoughts about the Atonement and what it means to me - being the "most important thing".  I started to think about something that dad told me before I left.  He said "You've had 19 years to prepare, 2 years to serve, and the rest of your life to think about it."

So this week when I started to think about the idea of "Moments that are the most important" - I decided that I would share some teachings from the Sandlot.  In the story of Benny and Babe Ruth there is this quote "Heroes get remembered, but Legends never die."  Everyone gets one moment to do something great - some people never take the chance - some because of fear, others because they don't realize that it's staring them in the face!

I thought of how this relates to a mission.  How these short 2 years are truly some of the "Moments that matter most".  Since I was 5 years old we've been singing the song "I hope they call me on a mission" - it's what we've been working for all of our lives.  Yes, I admit that there was a time in my life where I had no intention of serving a mission - but the decision to serve has been, is, and will always be the biggest blessing of my life.  We truly have the authority but have to work to have the power - spiritual power - through diligent study, obedience and the love of God and all men.

So I shared this idea and it was nice to feel that spirit testifying that this is what I needed to share when I prayed and asked on Monday night and also on Tuesday afternoon as I was sharing it.  We also had the birthday of Hermana Skirvin so we got to eat a torta!  :)

Right after district meeting I took off to Lavalle with Elder Castilla (he's from El Salvador) and we worked hard!  We spent some time cleaning their pench and the ate a ton on milanesa!  While we were in Lavelle we had a lesson with a woman named Rosa.  It was super spiritual and at the end when we were teaching her about Joseph Smith she stopped us and said, "Jesus is touching my hear and he's speaking but I don't dare say it."  She motioned to give her a piece of paper.  I gave her my pen and a page in the pamphlet and she wrote "El Bautismo 17".  She wants to be baptized on the 17th!  It's a Thursday, but hey, I'm not going to say no to Jesus!  :)

As for conference I've just got to say that Elder Rasband has now told me that President Monson loves me, is praying for me and is thankful for me twice!  Once in person and now in General Conference! It was such a blessing to have been a part of that!  I hope that everyone is doing better in Oklahoma.

I will say that I learned a ton this conference!  These are a few quotes that hit home for me:

"He did all this, and is buried in a small, humble grave."  -Eyring

"We don't step up, only forward and backward in the service of God."  -Oaks

"Teachings have no purpose if we're not willing to change."  -Hallstrom

"When you are where you are, be where you are."  -Ridd

"A family picture, a family dinner, and a session in the Salt Lake Temple."  -Stevens

"I've never felt regret by being too kind."  -President Monson

I really loved conference and received a bunch of revelation.  So quick story - during the talk of Elder Stevenson when he was talking about the Olympic athletes that helped out the snowboarder - Elder Morrin said "That's a true athlete" when he referred to someone who wanted to succeed and also wants the success of others.  I learned a big lesson from Elder Morrin - a true missionary isn't a missionary that only wants to have a good mission but also wants to help other missionaries have a good mission too.  Developing the character of Christ each day of our lives!

Enjoy your vacation on the big boat!  Share the gospel with others!
You never whose life you might change - forever and for the better!

I love you!
Be safe!

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment