Monday, January 6, 2014

I've Never Been Happier in My Life

Mom!  I'm alive!  :)

I'm going to rapid fire answers to your questions:

1.  What was the "special" item that you needed the money for?
You'll see when I get home.  :)  It's going to be awesome and I'm going to get it in about 10 days.  Thank you for being so nice to me.  I'm eating fine and things here are super expensive so I don't want to ruin your shopping plan with my food - plus the expensive food sometimes isn't that good.  I'm a better cook anyway.

2.  You haven't shared any information yet about your companions:  Leon & Zivic
Elder Leon is from Equador.  He's a super hard, motivated Elder and I would dare say that he completely changed my mission experience.  He's been the most motivated companion I've had yet and we did WORK together.  When President called and told me I was leaving, I think I was more sad about leaving him than the area.  Plus he knew a lot of English so I would teach him words and he would teach me.  He couldn't say "cheat sheet" for his life!! haha!

Elder Zivic is from Buenos Aries.  I feel like he's a lot like Tyler's trainer.  He good, we're working and we're both new to the area.  We're pretty much starting over here in Fontana.

3.  How are things going as the DL?
Things are good!  I got to teach my first District Meeting last Tuesday and I get to do another tomorrow.  The entire district is fairly new to the mission (I'm the oldest having been out nearly 11 months).  We talked about our goals since this year - 2014 - will the the only year in all of our lives that we will get to be missionaries for all 12 months of 2014.  What a blessing!  I will be able to say that for all of 2014 that I served the Lord!  So we're setting plans and goals to become better deciples of Jesus Christ!

4.  Tell me about how and where you live?
Ummmm . . . . I'd rather not.  :)  We live fine.  We have an AC unit in our bedroom and a refridgerator.  Plus we have a stove/kitchen area that's partially outside that we use to cook!  So we're good.  We have to pump all of our water and our tank is so tiny that we have to pump water every day.  It's an adventure!

5.  How is Formosa different from Villa Angela?
It's really different!  The streets have more rocks so it's less dusty but it's really humid here. 

Since we're pretty much opening up this area, we're slowing finding people to teach.  President has entrusted us with a lot with this area.  The branch is small and struggling - we only had 14 people at church on Sunday and that includes the Elders and the district presidency.  Did I mention that I got another assignment to be the 1st counselor in our branch?  Just give me more responsibility!  haha! 

We've got a lot of work to do here but just like every place it has it's problems.  Right?  Different place, same problems.  But I always remember what you told me:  leave each area and each companion better than you found them.

It was a solid week non the less.  Here's a couple of highlights:

*I got to play with a monkey!  It was pretty cool and I have pics but I can't send them.  :)

* I went to Pirane twice - once for District meeting which took all day and then on Saturday for a baptismal interview.  It did my first interview and it was crazy and I learned a lot.

*There was a sister having a hard time the other day and I remembered that you shared the primary motto with me the other day and it helped her remember who she was.  Thank you for your letters!  You might not know but the things that you and dad share with me ALWAYS come in handy.  Thank you!

*What the heck happened to Braeden's hand?  Tell him that he needs to keep his eye on the right ball.  The Mission Ball.  I'll be honest, I realize now that the Lord is way more important than baseball.  It's  the best decision I've ever made.

*This month my testimony of OBEDIENCE grew.  It's the entire reason behind what we do in the gospel.  I have a true testimony of obedience.  I now understand why it's important to be obedient to the gospel and to live how God wants us to live.  The thing is, is that when we study the basics of the gospel we learn more about ourselves than any other time.  And when we live these principles we become the people that God wants us to be.  I've never been happier in my life.

Love you!

Keep the Faith!

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment