Monday, November 10, 2014

Flooded City & Cheeseburger in Paradise



What up fam.

I’ve got some news for you.  We ate cheeseburgers at the American joint and the city is flooded!  It DUMPED rain this week. More than ever in my life. We were soaked from head to toe all day and the streets flooded but we found a horse and took some pics. 

One day, while we were out, we were talking to this lady Maria outside of her house and it just started DUMPING rain. We were sitting outside under this little tin roof (like a porch) to her house and we couldn´t hear anything. It was a great lesson.  We explained the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was awesome until she asked us "So was my baptism not valid?" And I wasn´t really sure how to respond... so I shared Moroni 8:8, asked her her thoughts and bore my testimony. After 20 months, I´ve learned that true doctrine tied with my testimony usually is my best friend.







So Elder Simmons told me the other day that he hopes that we stay together for another transfer. Mainly because this next transfer we´re going to have like 7 baptisms. It just seems to be my luck... I get everyone all prepared, I leave, then they get baptized. It’s alright. :) I´m okay helping out in any way that I can. :)  I did get a letter from a family in Goya that told me that a few of my investigators got baptized. Happy news, right?! :)



That’s super interesting about Grandma running around with Grandpa of E Simmons. How weird. I wonder what Grandma did when she was my age....

As for Oscar. . . wow. We had an experience last night where a few of his "buddies" came by his house last night when we were over.  One of them was more drugged up than I’ve ever seen anyone in my life and the other two were on something. They talked for a minute than Oscar came back in. I can only imagine...   But I´m proud of him and the changes he´s making. He came to church again with his sister Carolina and HIS MOM CAME! Innocencia came to church!!! :) I was so happy! She also asked for a blessing after sacrament meeting so we asked the branch president to give one to her. She has some problems with her legs, from what she´s said it sounds like she has some knee problems. Anyways...

We also had the biggest miracle this week. So Innocencia has a few kids. One of them is named Feliciana (if you remember her) isn´t a member neither are her kids. With the other elders from what we´ve heard, the dad chased them out and said that his kids will not be baptized in the "mormon" church until they are 18 and have finished their catocism (catholic seminary class thing...I don’t know how to say it) So we´ve been praying and fasting for this family for the past 2 months, and the other day we were talking to Eliam (kid 11) and he said "I just wanna get baptized in your church"... so we told him to go call his mom. Feliciana came out and we explained to her what was going on, how Eliam and Luciana want to get baptized and she said "I´ll have to talk to my husband." So we passed by later on in the week and we asked Feliciana and she still hadn´t talked to Sergio her husband. So being the overly bold missionary that we need to be sometimes, I asked her to go and grab Sergio. We explained the same thing... and guess what! He gave the kids permission. :)

We were so excited for them. The dad, well, he doesn’t want his kids to do this "just to do it" but to keep following up with the church. So, Eliam promised he was going wake up bright and early and get to church, we passed by, and it seemed like they were sleeping. So we have permission, just lazy teenagers that like to stay up late and sleep in all day. (I now understand your life, mom and dad. Sorry about that.) :)

We also put up some hammocks this week to relax a bit at night. We bought a watermelon, cut it in half and enjoyed that while in our hammocks. Pic included :)




I also have a scripture of the week, President Franco shared it with me. D&C 6:36-37

36 Look‍ unto me in every thought; doubt‍ not, fear not.

37 Behold‍ the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails‍ in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit‍ the kingdom‍ of heaven. Amen.


Ponder on those words for the week,

Talk to you soon!

Love you!!
Elder Harris III








1 comment:

  1. Awww! Those floods are quite the predicament. They can really bring all sorts of inconveniences. The best you can do is to mitigate them and make sure that their path flow is kept away from where the water supply is at, especially the ones that are meant for human consumption. Other than that, it seems that you're doing fine there, so keep that up. Thanks for sharing that!

    Sharon Strock @ StormChamber

    ReplyDelete