Monday, October 21, 2013

I Might Actually Be Able to Speak Spanish


All is well in Israel this week!  Rumsey and I are happy as clams and are working hard together.  This week will truly be full of good-byes.  I'm sad to leave this part of my life and all the wonderful people that are part of it!  I've needed all of the people that I've met and I'm glad to be able to call these people my friends and family.

This week was sweet!

Monday:  We just did the normal schedule.  It was a solid day.

Tuesday:  We went to go help some people move.  We ended up moving a kiln, a bunch of wardrobes, couches, tables and other stuff.  Something funny that happened was that they rented 2 trailers and when we got them to the back of the house, we opened one up and found out that it was full of someone else's junk!  He was pretty ticked.  Haha!

Afterwards, we had a good conversation with Daryl and then went to the Smith's house for dinner.  And oh my goodness, it got out of hand!  They got doorbell ditched while we were there and they left a bucket full of silly string on their porch.  So after we ate, Brother Smith picked up a can and started to shake it up.  Then he told all of us that we couldn't spray it in the house because it would make a huge mess and no joke within 3 seconds he was chasing his kids around the house spraying silly string!  Before long, everyone had one, including us, and had this huge war!  haha!  It lasted about 5 minutes and then we cleaned it all up - it was so worth it!  haha!

Wednesday:  Our service day.  We went and helped feed the homeless and then went on over to Hands of Jesus.  And you better believe that I got stuck on egg duty again!  Later we had dinner at the Morgan's and then we helped this lady move.  We had to wait a few minutes so we played on a swing for a little bit and took some pictures.






Thursday:  We went to help John finish up moving.  Before we left his dad told us that we were the most charitable 19 year old boys he's ever met.  It made us feel good and I totally took it as a compliment!  They gave us a bunch of stuff including a first aid kit, a skateboard and a 1960's road bike!  We had to try the skateboard out:





Friday:  We had district meeting and a cold front hit.  It was about 30 degrees out and we had to give some flyers out for the ward party this upcoming Wednesday.  While we were out, we met a ton of people and got a few return appointments!

As we were leaving the neighborhood, I had this feeling that we needed to go see the Hanks family.  So we drove over and chatted with them for a little bit and then they invited us to stay and have dinner with them.  While we were there, we met this guy and he told us that he'd never been a Mormon.  So I finally opened my mouth and asked him why not?  He couldn't give me a solid answer - so give yourself a pat on the back for being a Mormon!  Dare to be a Mormon! 

Saturday:  We got on the bikes and I took out the one that John gave us and rode about 15 miles and visited a bunch of less active/part member families in the area.  It was a ton of fun and E. Rumsey almost got hit by a car!  It was so scarry!






Sunday:  It was the best day of the week.  Bishop Wade called me out and asked me to bare my testimony before I left.  So I got up and shared a few thoughts about my visa being denied, deciding to stay and then getting my visa.  I share Alma 29:3 and talked about being content. 

After church, we had a meeting with a family and Brent Borgerson (the guy who went to Argentine on his mission) came with us and helped us teach.  We taught the restoration and the spirit was burning in the room.

Then we visited with a family with a 7 year old girl who wants to learn more about the church.  We got to teach the little kid version of the restoration and it was awesome!  Then the best thing happened!  We went with Brent to go see Juan and his son Juan - (haha)  We shared about the atonement - all in Spanish!  I was so surprised by how much I knew, and how easily I could speak!  I am super pumped to get to Argentina now!  I think I might actually be able to communicate when I get there!

That night, we had dinner with the Smith's again and took some good-bye pictures. 

Have a solid week!  I'll be fixin' to talk to ya'll soon!

Love you,
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment