Monday, July 22, 2013

20 Weeks Down

20 Weeks now.  Wow.  Time has flown by.

We've spent most of the week trying to teach Elder Corey this area before I go.  We also have E. Read who is a brand new missionary and is still learning all the main discussions.  So we've been talking to a lot of members, less actives, and investigators.

Monday:  We played ball with a bunch of boys in the branch which was a lot of fun!  We played for a solid two hours or so.  We also gave Sister Mumford a blessing.  She has lots of problems and is pretty much allergic to everything.  She's had cancer 9 times and still works 50 hours per week.

Wednesday:  No too much happened!  We spent the whole day finding.  Not the best!  We tried to find some solid investigators and found 5-6.  We met a guy who was just going to be married and he invited us to the wedding but didn't tell us where it would be.  We also talked to some gangsters which was entertaining.

Thursday:  We visited with Cindy and this is my miracle for the week!  So Cindy has a lot of health problems.  She has  torn shoulder and was going to have surgery in two weeks.  So after her baptism on the 14th, she went and saw her doctor.  He took an MRI of her shoulder and there was nothing wrong!  Her shoulder had been completely healed!  So she doesn't need surgery anymore.  How cool is that??  When she told us, my faith shot through the roof!  It really goes to show how powerful God really is.  I seriously love being a missionary!

Friday:  We had district meeting in Chickasha and then went on exchanges.  Elder Hoopes came to Anadarko and we had an awesome day!  We visited some less actives, some investigators and still had time for dinner!

I remembered something that Dad told me and I shared it with one of our investigators and he took it to heart.  So back when I was 15 or so and I told you guys that I didn't want to go to church (like every 15 year old) and Dad said, "You know what?  Sometimes I don't want to go either, but I know that's where I'm supposed to be every Sunday.  So I go."  I shared that with Charlie and although he was super tired and none of his kids wanted to come, they came to church!  So thanks Pops!

Saturday:  We talked to Cody, Ranae and Nola about the importance of the Book of Mormon.  They are starting to see the blessings of going to church.  They are finding blessings as they meet with us.  While we were talking, they both broke down and told us that they're having a hard time and that they want to change.  So that's what we're doing, helping them change for the better!  They're an awesome family and I'm going to miss them a lot when I leave for Argentina.

Sunday:  It was the best!  Sacrament meeting was so awesome.  We had some amazing talks on commitments and staying focused by the Hargrave's.  They talked a lot about when we commit to something that we're in it until the end.  Like when you have a kid - the kid should be your focus until the end, or until they move out.  Then they talked about being baptized and how that's a commitment with God and that we need to have faith until the end.  I even took notes it was so good!  One thing that they said that really stood out to me is that "True happiness doesn't come by getting something, but by being something."  How true is that?  When we ARE rather than what we HAVE is what makes us happy.  When we have a testimony it's a great thing, but when we ARE our testimony or live our testimony - how much stronger it will be!

So second hour is when the story gets good.  So we had 4 investigators from Anadarko and 2 from Elgin come to church.  We were super excited about it!  In the second hour all the recent coverts and investigators meet to learn very simple, basic doctrine about the church.  So the teacher starts talking and it just went downhill from the very beginning.  Long story short - he brought up our Heavenly Mother, sealing power, temples and on and on.  We asked to talk about the Plan of Salvation.  Now we (the 5 missionaries) are scared to death that all of our investigators will leave us now.  I'm super scared . . .

Anyways!  The rest of the day was a big mess too.  But we did meet 2 new investigators and taught them the restoration on their porches.  I think that's one of my favorite things - when we first talk to someone and they look SO CONFUSED about everything we say.  I LOVE IT!  :)

This week has been awesome and this next week will be awesome too.  I'm just excited to get back to work!  I love Oklahoma - but if I'm going to Argentina in the next couple of weeks that would be okay too.!

The past couple of day I've thought that I might serve my whole mission here.  How crazy is that?  Remember those dreams I had before I got my call thinking that I was going to Nebraska?  Maybe it's just Oklahoma!!!  Who knows?  If I stay, it's okay, and if I go that's okay too!

I love you all and I hope that ya'll are doing good!  Can't wait to see you again!

Keep the Faith!
Expect Miracles!

Love,
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment